Monday, August 28, 2006

"Christ At Work" T-shirt

Greetings:

A few days ago I noticed an interesting T-shirt while visiting a playground with my 3-year-old daughter. The other child's shirt had an orange construction sign on the front--much like you'd see along a highway--with the words "Christ at work" instead of "men at work."

I really liked that idea--Christ at work in each of us. He's here with us. We are under his care and part of what my Presbyterian mother used to call "the Plan."

But yesterday morning, my family and I woke up to the news of the Comair crash just outside of Bluegrass Field in Lexington, Kentucky, and I thought again about that T-shirt I'd noticed. In times of tragedy, it's difficult, perhaps impossible, to see how Christ could be at work there.

I have to believe that in some mystrious way, Chirst was on board that Comair flight with those 49 men and women. It was part of the Plan. Christ was at work. But how? I'm sure to a God who stands outside of time, an early death is not the tragedy is appears to us. Still . . . .

Psalm 90, the one that says, "From everlasting to everlasting you are God," also says:

For a thousand years in your sight
are like a day that has just gone by,
or like a watch n the night.
You sweep men away in the sleep of death,
They are like the new grass of the morning--
though in the morning it spring up new
by evening it is dry and withered. . . .

Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom. (NIV)

I certanly feel the need of wisom today.

Best wishes,
Mason Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive frequent bundled notices via email about postings and comments


Powered by FeedBlitz