Tuesday, April 11, 2006

anthrakia

Prayer for Tuesday in Holy Week

The traditional collect for Tuesday in Holy Week, according to The Book of Common Prayer is as follows:

O God, who by the passion of thy blessed Son didst make an instrument of shameful death to be unto us the means of life: Grant us so to glory in the cross of Christ, that we may gladly suffer shame and loss for the sake of thy Son our Savior, Jesus Christ; who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

And one of the lectionary readings for Tuesday of Holy Week is Isaiah 49.1-6. This passage is quoted from the NIV.


Listen to me, you islands;
hear this, you distant nations:

Before I was born, the Lord called me;
from my birth he has made mention of my name.

He made my mouth like a sharpened sword,
in the shadow of his hand he hid me;

he made me into a polished arrow
and concealed me in his quiver.

He said to me, "You are my servant,
Israel, in whom I will display my splendor."

But I said, "I have labored to no purpose:
I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing.

Yet what is due me is in the Lord's hand,
and my reward is with my God."

And now the Lord says--
he who formed me in the womb to be his servant
to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself,

for I am honored in the eyes of the Lord
and my God has been my strength--

he says: "It is too small a thing for you to be my servant
to restore the tribes of Jacob and bring back those of Israel I have kept.

I will also make you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring my salvation to the ends of the earth."

---

Best wishes,
Mason Smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address to receive frequent bundled notices via email about postings and comments


Powered by FeedBlitz